Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / express release / air waybill (AWB) / surrender message
- Packing list properly marked and corresponding to the OBL
- Authorization letter from owner of the goods to port authorities
- Duty exemption certificate from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (diplomats)
- Commercial invoice indicating currency (commodity shipment)
- Amount of packages (commodity shipment)
- Insurance certificate (if applicable) (commodity shipment)
- Legalized certificate of origin (commodity shipment)
- Do not include flammable items inside the moving boxes.
- Items contained in the shipment must be for personal use and cannot be used for commercial purposes.
- All shipments are subject to inspection
- New items have a 5% duty
- Owner of the goods’ presence / authorization letter from owner of the goods is required
- Diplomats are free from duties and physical inspection, but not scanning
- Proof of insurance
- Commercial invoice on new vehicles
- Certificate of ownership
- Export certificate from country of origin
- Car condition report
- No objection certificate (NOC) from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (diplomats)
- Residence permit
- Owner of the goods’ contact details (telephone number, fax number, address and email) (non-citizens)
- Only vehicles less than 5 years are allowed to be imported, unless a classic / vintage, which requires prior permission before the shipment arrives in Bahrain.
- Valid insurance is required for the registration of the car.
- The owner of the goods must arrange to obtain the Central Population Registration (CPR) card through the employer’s Human Resources department; once the CPR is obtained, the owner of the goods may obtain a temporary license plate.
- Customs duties are approximately 5%.
- Vehicles should not be shipped with a full gasoline tank.
- The owner of the goods should obtain vehicle insurance directly from an insurance company.
- Left hand drive vehicles only & GCC specification.
- Vaccination record
- Veterinary health certificate
- Import permit
- Copy of air waybill (AWB)
- Pets may only be transported as cargo; however, assistive animals may be able to travel in the aircraft cabin:
- Contact agent for specific information.
- The import permit must be obtained prior to travel from the Veterinary Quarantine Department in Bahrain.
- The veterinary health certificate must state that the animal is free from disease and is fully vaccinated.
- Import license to be obtained prior to booking pets.
- Quarantine for a month (owner of the goods must provide feeding arrangements).
- Firearms (an import permit and permission from the Ministry of the Interior and Civil Aviation Affairs of Bahrain is required).
- Videotapes (subject to inspection and hold by Ministry officials and released approximately 2-3 weeks after inspection) (non-citizens)
- CDs, VCDs, books (only large quantities)
- Personal computers (subject to inspection and hold by the Ministry of Post and Telecommunications prior to shipment arrival) (non-citizens)
- Pianos / musical instruments
- Wines, spirits, and alcohol are subject to duty at Customs discretion (diplomats).
- Medicines are subject to prescription by a doctor (in English or Arabic) (diplomats)
- Commodity shipments are subject to 5% Customs duty
- Alcoholic beverages
- Narcotics and drugs
- Pornographic materials
- Knives, daggers (ornamental, etc.)
- Wireless equipment
- Satellite, receivers, cordless telephones, walkie-talkies
- Guns, arrows, darts
- Military clothes
- Gambling games